Tuesday 8 April 2014

Why Not? Part 3: Poverty

The wealth of this world disgusts me. I'm sorry to bring it up abruptly like that, but this really pisses me off. I live in a place without a very good economy. In fact, even a simple t-shirt is gonna cost at least a hundred bucks. This economic state was brought about by apartheid, which ended 20 years ago, and still effects everyday life. Not only has it brought about racism (which I will discuss LATER), but it has put a huge amount of the population into debt.
Now, a little history lesson. When apartheid was raging, the rest of the world refused to trade with South Africa. So, we lost all shares, and our economy began to crumble. Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I can't get maltesers at the supermarket, and that pisses me off...
As I was saying, poverty. Whenever I drive towards the airport, the sides of the road start changing from expensive houses to run down shacks, where the blacks and coloureds were forced to live during apartheid. This makes all my trips out that way very depressing, and makes me want to stab every single racist bastard who started and enforced apartheid.
Wealthy people take every little thing they have for granted. This makes me angry. I mean, having a wardrobe full of clothes, a warm bed to sleep in, a cellphone, a laptop, and still..."MOM, I NEED NEW JEANS!"
See what I mean? And I'm not saying I don't do this. I take things for granted on a daily basis. I mean, take my library of books. Would I have that if I were poverty stricken? Probably not.
What is disgusting about the whole thing is how the wealthy treat the poor. They beg on the side of the road, and we just turn our noses up and drive away in our Mercedes, to the grand gala where we'll be sipping champagne and eating caviare.
Ok, maybe not all rich people are invited to galas. My mistake. But that isn't what's important here.
What's important is the fact that the poor need help. The only way to break out of the poverty cycle is through education (or Daddy Warbucks, but I don't think he's taking calls right now) and no matter how much money is put towards their education, the thing that really matters is if they care or not. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
Damn, that broke me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment